Re: HTML4 + <script><![CDATA[ </ENDTAG> ]]></script>

From: David Dorward <david@dorward.me.uk>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2010 14:23:17 +0000
Cc: www-validator@w3.org
To: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>

On 5 Feb 2010, at 14:14, Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
>> 1. From an aesthetic point of view, it is just an ugly mass of code
>
> Less ugly, to me, than end tag escaping.

Tag escaping is simple, valid, and doesn't depend on incorrect behaviour.

>> 2. It depends on browsers implementing HTML 4.01 incorrectly in order
>> to work
>
> HTML4 warns against using </>  - doesn't expect correct implementation.

HTML 4 warns against *authors* using </> because there are a lot of incorrect implementations out there. It doesn't exclude the possibility of correct implementations.

>> 3. It throws warnings in the validator
>
> Of course. The congratulations message counts more, though. ;-)

And using the standard method gives neither warnings nor errors.

--
David Dorward
http://dorward.me.uk