Validator ignores malformed closing comment tag

From: Jerry Peek <jpeek@jpeek.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 16:20:42 -0700
To: www-validator@w3.org
Hi, all. The page http://tucsonart.info/murals/ie_test.html wouldn't
display correctly in several versions of Internet Explorer, though
Validator reported "This document was successfully checked as HTML 4.01
Transitional!" (http://validator.w3.org/, version v0.8.5, as of today,
20 September 2009).

I eventually found an invalid closing comment tag inside the <style>
block in the <head> section. Instead of --> the tag was ->> (with two
greater-than signs).  Here are the start and end of that block:

  body {

The fixed document, http://tucsonart.info/murals/index.html, displays
correctly in IE (of course).  I'm not sure if this qualifies as
something that Validator should complain about, but I thought I'd report
it. (By the way, Firefox 3.5 ignored the error and displayed the page.)

Jerry Peek

P.S. I'm not subscribed to this list.