Re: Validator ignores malformed closing comment tag

From: David Dorward <david@dorward.me.uk>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 09:26:04 +0100
Cc: www-validator@w3.org
To: Jerry Peek <jpeek@jpeek.com>

On 21 Sep 2009, at 00:20, Jerry Peek wrote:

> Hi, all. The page http://tucsonart.info/murals/ie_test.html wouldn't
> display correctly in several versions of Internet Explorer, though
> Validator reported "This document was successfully checked as HTML
> 4.01 Transitional!" (http://validator.w3.org/, version v0.8.5, as of
> today, 20 September 2009).
>
> I eventually found an invalid closing comment tag inside the <style>
> block in the <head> section.

In HTML, <style> elements contain CDATA. It isn't an invalid comment,
it is just a part of the stylesheet.

See http://dorward.me.uk/www/comments-cdata/ for the history of these.

There is nothing invalid about this, but it is something that would be
useful for a general HTML lint to pick up.

(Please direct responses to the mailing list, and not directly to me)

--
David Dorward
http://dorward.me.uk