Re: [VE][47] A non-empty XHTML page with correct <?xml ... ?> header doesn't get validated at all

From: olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 08:59:58 -0400
To: Jukka K.Korpela <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi>
Cc: <www-validator@w3.org>, "Ewgenij Gawrilow" <gawrilow@math.TU-Berlin.DE>

Hi Jukka,

On 16-May-08, at 11:50 AM, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
>> Your server sends
>> That is wrong.
> I missed that one... but technically, utf-8 is the default encoding
> for
> application/xhtml+xml and the malformed Content-Encoding header should
> be ignored. So there's probably a bug to be fixed in the validator.
> Perhaps it somehow gets I/O error when trying to apply an undefined
> content encoding.

I would agree with your diagnosis. Unfortunately Ewgenij seems to have
fixed the original problematic resource, and the issue went away. I
note that the headers now sent for http://www.math.tu-berlin.de/coga/people/index.xhtml
... which is wrong, but at least it doesn't trip up the validator as

> Surely, but the validator should still be able to handle the
> situation.

It would be great if someone can cook a reduced test case (e.g a
little php script sending the offending header) and enter a bugzilla

Given how rare and pathological the issue is, I don't know if it
should be solved in priority, but keeping a record of it would be