Re: [VE][47] A non-empty XHTML page with correct <?xml ... ?> header doesn't get validated at all

Andreas Prilop wrote:

> On Fri, 16 May 2008, Ewgenij Gawrilow wrote:
>
>> Validating http://www.math.tu-berlin.de/coga/people/index.xhtml
>> Error [47]: "end of document in prolog"
>
> Your server sends

> That is wrong.

I missed that one... but technically, utf-8 is the default encoding for
application/xhtml+xml and the malformed Content-Encoding header should
be ignored. So there's probably a bug to be fixed in the validator.
Perhaps it somehow gets I/O error when trying to apply an undefined
content encoding.

> It must be

That would indeed be advisable if you wanted to serve a page as XHTML.

> However, what's the point? Serve your pages as text/html if you want
> to publish something on the web.

Surely, but the validator should still be able to handle the situation.

(I'm Cc'ing the OP, since people who post to the www-validator list
can't be assumed to have subscribed to it.)

Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/