RE: Doesn't validate online, but pasted View Source does

From: Mark Rae <mark@markrae.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 13:19:15 -0000
To: "'David Dorward'" <david@dorward.me.uk>
Cc: <www-validator@w3.org>

-----Original Message-----
From: David Dorward [mailto:david@dorward.me.uk]
Sent: 13 December 2007 12:57
To: mark@markrae.co.uk
Cc: www-validator@w3.org
Subject: Re: Doesn't validate online, but pasted View Source does

David,

Firstly, thanks very much for replying - I appreciate it.

> The usual trick when debugging this type of issue is to turn on the

OK. When I do that, it looks like the validator is ignoring the <meta> tag
which specifies the charset - is that normal...?

> It looks like different content is being served to it. If I disable
> cookies ... I get my browser suck in a loop of Alert, Redirect, No
> Cookie, Alert. That's a very unpleasant effect to have and I have to
> time my keyboard shortcut to close the tab very carefully to escape
> the loop.

Thanks for pointing that out. Obviously, that's very bad and I will seek to
address it immediately.

> Incidentally, the JS shouldn't be firing at all, since it is
> commented out. You seem to be depending on text/html parsing of your
> XHTML.

As above.

http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#h-4.8
http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#C_4