Re: Doesn't validate online, but pasted View Source does

From: Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 15:40:21 +0200
To: <mark@markrae.co.uk>
Cc: <www-validator@w3.org>

Mark Rae wrote:

> Interesting... When I go to
> http://www.contracting-online.com/home/default.aspx and do a View
> Source, I most certainly _do_ see the <meta> tag...

So do I, but the validator does not. The reason is that the server sends
quite a different response to it than to "us" (our browsers). This too
can be seen in the "Show Source" View. Or you could use a utility like
http://web-sniffer.net/ which takes a URL as input and sends back the
HTTP headers and the document it gets as response; it naturally does not
use scripting or cookies, so it probably gets essentially the same
response as the validator.

> Is it normal for
> the validator to ignore the <meta> tag?

No, but here it just does not get it in the response.

(The validator _does_ ignore a <meta> tag specifying charset when the
charset is specified in an HTTP header, but this is as required by
specifications and corresponds to browser behavior.)

Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")