Re: Doesn't validate online, but pasted View Source does

From: David Dorward <david@dorward.me.uk>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 12:57:02 +0000
Cc: <www-validator@w3.org>
To: <mark@markrae.co.uk>

On 13 Dec 2007, at 01:49, Mark Rae wrote:
> 1) if you do a View Source on the above site's home page, you'll
> see that
> the header contains the following:
> charset=ISO-8859-1" />
>
> 2) if you copy the entire contents of the View Source and paste
> into the
> "Validate by Direct Input" box, it does validate.

The usual trick when debugging this type of issue is to turn on the

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.contracting-
online.com%2Fhome%2Fdefault.aspx&charset=%28detect+automatically%
29&doctype=Inline&ss=1&group=0&verbose=1

It looks like different content is being served to it. If I disable
cookies ... I get my browser suck in a loop of Alert, Redirect, No
Cookie, Alert. That's a very unpleasant effect to have and I have to
time my keyboard shortcut to close the tab very carefully to escape
the loop.

Incidentally, the JS shouldn't be firing at all, since it is
commented out. You seem to be depending on text/html parsing of your
XHTML.

http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#h-4.8 (and http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/
#C_4 )
http://www.webdevout.net/articles/beware-of-xhtml