Re: [ANN] Beta test of the W3C Markup Validator (0.8.0 beta 1)

From: Jon Ribbens <jon+www-validator@unequivocal.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 17:36:34 +0100
To: "www-validator@w3.org Community" <www-validator@w3.org>

On Wed, Apr 25, 2007 at 11:30:15AM -0500, Shane McCarron wrote:
> >Once again, I presume the validator to be a normal requesting client
> >to any webserver. Following that assumption, there seems to be not one
> >argument, to refuse sending a correct Accept header.
>
> Well - since a normal client is not required to send such a header...  I
> think the validator is working fine in this instance.

I think that might depend on your definition of "normal".
Enough web sites break if you don't send an Accept header that
"normal" clients in effect *are* required to send one, even if
the standards say you don't need to.

(i.e. is the validator trying to look like a *normal* client,
or a conformant-but-weird client? ;-) )