Re: Beta validator: Document not validated with custom DTD

From: Terje Bless <link@pobox.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 02:53:05 +0200
To: W3C Validator <www-validator@w3.org>
cc: Klaus Johannes Rusch <KlausRusch@atmedia.net>

Klaus Johannes Rusch <KlausRusch@atmedia.net> wrote:

>The beta validator at http://validator.w3.org:8001/ indicates the
>following document is not valid:
>
><!DOCTYPE html SYSTEM
>          "http://www.ibm.com/data/dtd/v11/ibmxhtml1-transitional.dtd">
>[...]
>Any ideas why this is failing (the validator seems to not allow XHTML
>notation with custom DTDs, validating the same document against the W3C
>XHTML DTD works).

Since the document is being served as text/html it's impossible for us to
detect that this document should be treated as XML and not SGML. For
documents using non "Well Known" XML DTDs you will have to serve the
document as one of the XML MIME types (say, application/xhtml+xml) which
will trigger XML semantics from the Validator.

--
We've gotten to a point where a human-readable,  human-editable text format
forstructured data has become a complex nightmare where somebody can safely