Re: Beta validator: Document not validated with custom DTD

From: Klaus Johannes Rusch <KlausRusch@atmedia.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 12:58:03 +0000
To: Terje Bless <link@pobox.com>
CC: W3C Validator <www-validator@w3.org>

Terje Bless wrote:

Terje,

> Since the document is being served as text/html it's impossible for us to
> detect that this document should be treated as XML and not SGML. For
> documents using non "Well Known" XML DTDs you will have to serve the
> document as one of the XML MIME types (say, application/xhtml+xml) which
> will trigger XML semantics from the Validator.

unfortunately a change like that would break browsers which are
currently used and do not recognize application/xhtml+xml, nor is there
a way to specify that when uploading a file.

I would suggest to add a radio button to select whether a document
should be validated using SGML or XML rules.

Thanks

--
Klaus Johannes Rusch
KlausRusch@atmedia.net