Re: Content Negotiation and Minor Nitpicking

Christoph P”per <christoph.paeper@tu-clausthal.de> wrote:

>For the matter of content negotiation it would be nice if one could
>choose in <http://validator.w3.org:8001/detailed.html> the Accept
>(text/html vs. application/xhtml+xml), Accept-Language and perhaps
>Accept-Encoding HTTP headers sent by the validator.

This is a very good idea. I've logged it (as tracker number #18), but it
probably won't make the cut for this version.

>I don't think /detailed.html is the best choice, "advanced" seems to be
>more common for an extended interface, e.g. at Google or in Windows.

Noted, but I don't think we'll change this.

>I hope there'll be translated versions.

Actually, there is allready a German language version by Glenn Kusardi at
<URL:http://validator.projektmedien.de/>, but we do hope to make localized
versions more easy to produce (and hopefully also provide localized
versions directly) in the future.

>|This Page Is NOT Valid XYZ
>
>I'm not sure if it's correct English to capitalize here. Anyhow, this
>could (and should IMHO) be accomplished with CSS:

Thanks. This is bug #19. :-)

>There's an icon in the upper left and one in the lower right, while the
>inclusion code is in the middle. Which icon will I get? (/I/ know that.)

Bug #20. :-)

>There really should be support for other media types as well.

This is a hack to prevent Netscape 4.x from attempting to load and parse
the stylesheet. Netscape 4.x has such a buggy implementation of CSS that it
comepletely looses it's mind when presented with even moderately complex
CSS. It was this or either dumbing down the CSS to what NN 4.x could handle
or living with irate users whose Netscape crashed on them.

But I've still logged it (issue #21) and we'll look at finding a different
way of working around Netscape 4.x and it's ilk.

Thanks for your feedback!