Re: Can we have the "type" and "encoding" options back?

Ulrich Mueller <ulm@kph.uni-mainz.de> wrote:

>Maybe you could add a link on the "valid results" page, pointing to
>another page with these options included? This would keep the valid
>results page clean, and with one more mouseclick one could get the old
>functionality.

Done and done. :-)

Barring unforseen problems this will appear in a future version.

>>>- Is it really necessary to use the &ldquo; and &rdquo; entities? Some
>>>old browsers are not happy with them. Wouldn't simple double quotes do?
>
>>[...] what specific browsers have trouble with them
>
>Netscape 4.7 [...]

This puts me in a bit of a conundrum; I'd sworn to myself I would never
again make another concession to Netscape 4.x -- on general principle --
but...

>>and how does this "trouble" manifest itself?
>
>It will display the entities verbatim as "&ldquo;" and "&rdquo;". Of
>course it is the browser that is to blame, but on the other hand you
>wouldn't lose much by using simple double quotes.

...that's a rather bad failure mode for such a small issue.

Hmmm. Perhaps I'd better take the position that the "fancy" quotes are
inappropriate in the context and completely unnecessary and should be
removed for /that/ reason? :-)

--
We've gotten to a point where a human-readable,   human-editable text format
for structured data has become a complex nightmare where somebody can safely