Re: Can we have the "type" and "encoding" options back?

From: (wrong string) äper <christoph.paeper@tu-clausthal.de>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 18:52:53 +0100
To: "W3C Validator" <www-validator@w3.org>

Terje Bless <link@pobox.com>:

> This puts me in a bit of a conundrum; I'd sworn to myself I would never
> again make another concession to Netscape 4.x -- on general principle --

IIRC decimal entities work just fine in NS4. Or did it only work if the page
was delivered as UTF-8 also?
In general I welcome the use of correct typography.

> Hmmm. Perhaps I'd better take the position that the "fancy" quotes are
> inappropriate in the context and completely unnecessary and should be
> removed for /that/ reason? :-)

It only appears in "identified itself as &ldquo;XYZ&rdquo;" on the result
page--probably q will suffice, although it's even worse supported, but where
it's not, it won't do any harm. On the start page it currently says '"What's
New"'--no fancy quotes, no correct apostrophe (&rsquo;).
Note that quotes will have to be adjusted in many localized versions, if
there'll be any.

Christoph Päper