Re: Validator support for MathML embedded in XHTML

From: Nick Kew <nick@webthing.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2002 16:18:53 +0100 (BST)
To: Michael Bowen <fizzbowen@mindspring.com>
cc: <www-validator@w3.org>

On Sun, 31 Mar 2002, Michael Bowen wrote:

>	 I am wondering if anyone has
> managed to validate documents containing MathML constructions (equations)
> embedded in XHTML. I've seen (from earlier threads) that it's sort of
> possible to validate pure MathML; I am hoping to go a step farther.

What problems did you encounter when you tried?

IIRC all the validators have supported both MATHML and XHTML+MATHML
for some time - round about a year now.  If there are problems,
we'd like to know.

> If this is possible, could someone please post the correct tweaks for the
> DOCTYPE/FPI/namespace designations? I've tried using the "XHTML 1.1 plus
> MathML 2.0" DTD but no luck.

        -- MathML --
PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1 plus MathML 2.0//EN"
PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD MathML 2.0//EN"

	-- Also redirect the following to our local copies --
SYSTEM "http://www.w3.org/TR/MathML2/dtd/xhtml-math11-f.dtd"
SYSTEM "http://www.w3.org/TR/MathML2/dtd/mathml2.dtd"

Any other SYSTEM dtd should be supported, provided it is a URL from
which the validator can access it.

>	Also how can one keep the validator from
> choking on the xmlns:m attributes in the <html> and <body> elements?

The DTDs don't actually allow those attributes, but see
<URL:http://groups.google.com/groups?as_umsgid=e6239uoomtjir3vaivgrd2524r65m3lvtn%404ax.com>

--
Nick Kew

<URL:http://valet.webthing.com/>