Re: no-show in IE5.1

From: Timothy J. Luoma <luomat@peak.org>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2002 15:58:53 -0400 (EDT)
To: css-discuss@westciv.com
Cc: jam.macdonald@sympatico.ca, www-validator@w3.org
> http://www.ssc.ca/tests/new.html
>
> http://www.ssc.ca/tests/main.css

> My
site looks just the way I want it to in Moz.9 (all on OSX). However,
>  it won't even display in
IE5.1 or NC4.7; I just get a blank screen.

And Opera 5 & 6 also show a blank screen, although
by viewing the source I can see that it did receive the page

> This  leads me to conclude that
I've done something horribly wrong,
> although I  am at a loss as to what (the XHTML and CSS
both validate).

Try changing this:

<script type="text/javascript"
src="styleswitcher.js" />

to this

<script type="text/javascript"
src="styleswitcher.js"> </script>

(that suggestion courtesy of HTMLValidator ->
www.htmlvalidator.com)

I think you've found a bug/limitation to the W3 XML validator
(perhaps this is part of what they mean at the bottom of the validation page when they say:
"This validator is based on SP, which has some limitations in its support for XML.")

TjL