Re: Producing an XML report from the validator

From: Christian Smith <csmith@barebones.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 13:58:23 -0400
To: Terje Bless <link@tss.no>
cc: Nick Kew <nick@webthing.com>, Esmond Walshe <esmond.walshe@eeng.dcu.ie>, www-validator@w3.org
On Wednesday, June 13, 2001 at 6:47 PM, link@tss.no (Terje Bless) wrote:

> On 13.06.01 at 17:25, Nick Kew <nick@webthing.com> wrote:
>
> >Yes.  Now the interesting bit is to define our suitable XML format.
>
> If anyone has any ideas I'd _love_ to see them!

I don't particularly care what the exact format is, but the pieces of
info that I would need in the report would be:

entry type 		(error, warning, note)
start offset 	(the offset of the beginning of the error)
end offset		(the offset of the end of the error)

Note: These might be the same but would preferably specify a range. In
any event the value should be the character offset from the beginning of
the file.

result line		(the line of the document the error occurs on)
message			(the text of the error, warning, note)

--
Christian Smith  |  csmith@barebones.com  |  http://web.barebones.com

He who dies with the most friends... Is still dead!