Re: Producing an XML report from the validator

From: Terje Bless <link@tss.no>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 19:32:17 +0200
To: Kynn Bartlett <kynn@idyllmtn.com>
cc: Nick Kew <nick@webthing.com>, Christian Smith <csmith@barebones.com>, Esmond Walshe <esmond.walshe@eeng.dcu.ie>, www-validator@w3.org
On 13.06.01 at 10:14, Kynn Bartlett <kynn@idyllmtn.com> wrote:

>At 10:11 AM 6/13/2001 , Terje Bless wrote:
>>However, EARL looks to be a bit immature yet; not to mention utter
>>overkill for this purpose. Once I grok Notation3 I'll take another look.
>>:-)
>
>Well, it's probably overkill for -this- purpose, but when you consider the
>ability to combine a number of purposes using a common framework, it makes
>a lot of sense. [T] he theory is good, and there are brilliant people
>working on this, so I am all for further development of EARL and I don't
>feel bad in trying to proselytize for its use!

Oh, I agree. It's just 1) I don't understand it very well yet so I'm not
comfortable implementing it or using it; 2) it looks to not be finished or
stable yet; 3) it seems to my untrained eye to be a bit of an Ivory Tower
Toy at the moment and I'd like to see it evaluated from a practical
perspective before investing too much time in getting it running.

I'm watching the WAI lists for EARL developments with an eye to
implementing it in the Validator and there's plenty of preparatory work
that can be done to make it easier to add EARL later; to whiz: XML Output.