Re: Producing an XML report from the validator

On 13.06.01 at 13:58, Christian Smith <csmith@barebones.com> wrote:

>I don't particularly care what the exact format is, but the pieces of
>info that I would need in the report would be:
>
>entry type         (error, warning, note)

All three would be tagged as "error" to begin with I think. We don't
distinguish between them at the moment and I'm ambivalent about how, and
whether to, do so in the future.

>start offset   (the offset of the beginning of the error)
>end offset     (the offset of the end of the error)
>
>Note: These might be the same but would preferably specify a range.

We don't have a meaningfull "end offset", and I'm not quite sure what that
would be in any case?

>In any event the value should be the character offset from the beginning
>of the file.

Hmmm, it's possible to calculate, but it's a PITA to do. We operate on
characters from the beginning of the line (because that's what SP does).