Re: Validating SSL protected web-pages

From: Ivana Belgers-van Overmeeren <ivana.belgers@surfnet.nl>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 17:44:29 +0100
To: Terje Bless <link@tss.no>
CC: W3C Validator <www-validator@w3.org>
Terje Bless wrote:

> On 15.02.01 at 03:07, Ivana Belgers-van Overmeeren
> <ivana.belgers@surfnet.nl> wrote:
> >I wanted to test my web-pages that are SSL protected, but I noticed that
> >only http:// URLs are supported by the http://validator.w3.org/. I could
> >use the 'upload' feature, but then it wouldn't consider the SSI that I use
> >in my pages. Is there any way of testing my SSI pages with the validator
> >tools?
> Use your browser's "Save As..." function and then upload the saved copy.

Of course, why didn't I think of that. It worked and I almost got my
validated correctly. I only have one problem left, and I don't know what
do about it. If I check the page with the validator it gives this

Line 98, column 162:

Error: general entity "search" not defined and no default entity

Line 98, column 168:

Error: reference not terminated by refc delimiter

Which is referring to:

The & seems to me as a valid part of the URL, RFC 1738 says:
'The characters ";", "/", "?", ":", "@", "=" and "&" are the characters
which may be reserved for special meaning within a scheme.'

Should the validator not ignore anything that is between href="..." ?

Ivana Belgers
SURFnet bv