Re: Floats need explicit width??

Philip,

The idea of generating an informational message was that "some browsers"
allegedly had problems dealing with  floats without declared widths.  So
- I didn't raise the subject and your idea that an agreement had been
reached to generate an informational message was another correspondent's
idea to remind himself to cater for these browsers.  My practical
apporoach was to look to see which of these "some browsers" were
affected.  Turns out not many - IE/Mac.  Perhaps some really old and
totally extinct browsers which I haven't tested, but IE/Mac is the only
one with real world relavance and that is already very limited and
decreasing further.

I agree that the validator should be concerned only with the relevant
specifications.

So why the reluctance to correct it in line with the spec for CSS 2.1?

Regards.