Re: Keyboard accessibility of More Options

Hello David, Patrick,

On Dec 18, 2006, at 17:01 , David Dorward wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 18, 2006 at 06:53:38PM +0000, Patrick H. Lauke wrote:
>> * There seems to be no way to get to the "More Options" pseudo-
>> link via
>> the keyboard
>
>> * With javascript off, those "More Options" pseudo-links are still
>> present, but useless.
>
> I don't consider myself a JavaScript expert, but I've attacked the
> code to see if I could produce something that addresses this
> issue. I'm not 100% happy with the result (which, BTW, is tested only
> in Firefox), but I think that its an improvement, and can be built
> upon.

David, thanks a lot! I agree that what you did is an improvement over
the previous version. I have taken it and uploaded on the dev server:
http://qa-dev.w3.org:8001/css-validator/validator.html.en

I have made only minor changes:
- slight syntax fixes
- made the labels (redundant when the script kicks in and adds the
paragraph with the link) invisible.
- removed the complicated linkText_Show/Hide_extra_validation_options
class

For the last one, however, I understand why you used it this way, I'm
just hoping we can do something better. We can, as I have done it for
now, simply hardcode the text of the paragraph into the js. But the
toggle.js is also used for other areas (e.g the validation results,
which have been broken by the changes to the javascript - gotta fix
that at some point) so it would be best to have the text be variable.

I suppose we could change the text depending on some class, e.g
moreoptions => Show/Hide extra validation options
moreinfo => More Information
morewarnings => Show/Hide list of warnings
etc.

But then there's the question of localization... The text should be
different depending on the display language. So maybe the text of the
link should be given in a title attribute in each of the localized
files?

We're making progress, but there are quite a few questions to answer
and a few areas to fix before we can declare victory.

--
olivier