Re: Keyboard accessibility of More Options

From: olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 11:58:15 +0900
Cc: CSS validator list <www-validator-css@w3.org>
To: David Dorward <david@dorward.me.uk>, "Patrick H. Lauke" <redux@splintered.co.uk>

Hello,

On Jan 6, 2007, at 04:24 , olivier Thereaux wrote:

> For the last one, however, I understand why you used it this way,
> I'm just hoping we can do something better. We can, as I have done
> it for now, simply hardcode the text of the paragraph into the js.
> But the toggle.js is also used for other areas (e.g the validation
> results, which have been broken by the changes to the javascript -
> gotta fix that at some point) so it would be best to have the text
> be variable.
[...]
> But then there's the question of localization... The text should be
> different depending on the display language. So maybe the text of
> the link should be given in a title attribute in each of the
> localized files?

A boring plane flight gave me inspiration for a solution to this.
Since we generally have

<h2>title of the div</h2>
stuff to be made invisible and toggle-able

We could reuse the text of the h2 (or whatever element the title is
in) by identifying it with a specific class. And then use the text to
create an element outside of the div, and put said text in a pseudo-
link.

Hence:
http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/css-validator/toggle.js?rev=1.4

The last improvement I'd like to add eventually would be adding
title="" to the pseudo link, but that's really icing on the cake.

Speaking of accessibility of the form, I also added labels for all
the selects, as suggested by Roberto Scano.