Re: How do authors use TV URLs? (was RE: URL: Background and Requirements)

At 10:11 AM 11/5/98 -0600, Ted Wugofski wrote:
>Has someone documented "who" will use these URLs.  I was under the
>impression that URLs would be specified by humans.
It will have to be possible to specify by humans, though many will be
machine generated.

Dan Zigmond's original "tv:" URL scheme was designed for this kind of use.
What's missing is the DNS-equivalent that takes a network or channel name
and looks up the "tuning" parameters.  (Tuning here may imply real tune to
a particular frequency, transponder or multiplex.)

>I can't imagine a usable and reuseable URI scheme (for a television
>transport) unless there is a level of indirection.  In other words, the
>URI points to the table and RDF is used to "find" the particular
>transport, stream, and packet.

The electronic program guides built into the kinds of devices we're
imagining usually have this kind of table, though the naming conventions
for channels and broadcasters haven't been standardized.

-dean
Dean Blackketter
WebTV Networks, Inc.
1295 Charleston Road