Re: How do authors use TV URLs? (was RE: URL: Background and Requirements)

From: Craig A. Finseth (fin@finseth.com)
Date: Thu, Nov 05 1998

Date: Thu, 5 Nov 1998 11:03:03 -0600 (CST)
From: "Craig A. Finseth" <fin@finseth.com>
To: Ted.Wugofski@otmp.com
Cc: www-tv@w3.org
Subject: Re: How do authors use TV URLs? (was RE: URL: Background and Requirements)

   Has someone documented "who" will use these URLs.  I was under the
   impression that URLs would be specified by humans.

   In the WWW today, a content author links to a known resource on the
   Internet through a URI.  Carrying this over to television, this says
   that an interactive content author links to a known resource in the
   television transport through a URI.  Yes, it may also point to the
   Internet, but that is well understood.

   If this is true, I have a hard time imagining a content developer being
   able to specify a URL that references another stream prior to encoding
   and multiplexing.  None of the addressing information is available when
   I originally authored the content.

Bingo!

   Even if the addressing information was known a priori, it would be
   invalid when the program is rebroadcast at a later time or in a
   different transport.

Double bingo!

   To get around this, I would have to encode something symbolic (a logical
   URL) that gets modified once everything is encoded, the multiplex is
   created, and all of the identifiers specified.  Then I would need
   something that would either map this logical URL to the real resource at
   run-time, or transcode the content with the proper URLs (physical URLs).

No, because the URL has to remain non-specific with respect to the
transport.

   What am I missing here?

Nothing.  The URLs must remain transport-independant.

   I can't imagine a usable and reuseable URI scheme (for a television
   transport) unless there is a level of indirection.  In other words, the
   URI points to the table and RDF is used to "find" the particular
   transport, stream, and packet.

Or something equivalent.

Craig