Re: FYI, tag election links

On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 11:24 AM, Ashok Malhotra
<ashok.malhotra@oracle.com>wrote:

> Add Vol 2 dealing with Application Architecture?

I strongly support Volume 2 being about Web application architecture. Its a
fast-moving space, and relating it to HTML and documents is necessary, lest
parts of the WebArch stack get left behind (which I worry may happen to the
SemWeb, for example). Volume 1 also has lots of value, although it
definitely could use some tweaks as well to bring it up to date. Perhaps
that could happen simulatenously with applications in Volume 2, and then
the documents could be clearly (and realistically) related.

To make the point, Web browsers are now effectively Javascript virtual
machines, with crossplatform interop being defined by the W3C and ECMA.
Thus, its better to think of the Web as replacing Java (where interop was
defined by SUN, and now Oracle), and thus a web of apps rather than as a
web of documents. Explaining this transition and stating its new
architectural requirements, including acknowledging the security and
privacy issues (esp. cookies) is of *utmost* importance.

All this talk of declative vs. functional reminds me of teaching Haskell to
undergrads at Uni. of Edinburgh. Some would get very excited and then
proceed to stop using other programming languages, calling them inferior -
until they had to get a job, that is :) There is of course a movement
towards functional features in languages across the board, and Javascript
has many nice functional capabilities, such as first-class functions, and
designing APIs with better async is now happening, i.e. "promises". Yet
developing and using these APIs still a black art for many WGs and
developers, so guidance is definitely necessary in this space.

   cheers,
      harry