Re: FYI, tag election links

On 12/14/12 8:22 AM, Harry Halpin wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 11:24 AM, Ashok Malhotra
> <ashok.malhotra@oracle.com <mailto:ashok.malhotra@oracle.com>> wrote:
>
>     Add Vol 2 dealing with Application Architecture?
>

> I strongly support Volume 2 being about Web application architecture.
> Its a fast-moving space, and relating it to HTML and documents is
> necessary, lest parts of the WebArch stack get left behind (which I
> worry may happen to the SemWeb, for example). Volume 1 also has lots
> of value, although it definitely could use some tweaks as well to
> bring it up to date. Perhaps that could happen simulatenously with
> applications in Volume 2, and then the documents could be clearly (and
> realistically) related.
>
> To make the point, Web browsers are now effectively Javascript virtual
> machines, with crossplatform interop being defined by the W3C and
> ECMA. Thus, its better to think of the Web as replacing Java (where
> interop was defined by SUN, and now Oracle), and thus a web of apps
> rather than as a web of documents. Explaining this transition and
> stating its new architectural requirements, including acknowledging
> the security and privacy issues (esp. cookies) is of *utmost* importance.
>
> All this talk of declative vs. functional reminds me of teaching
> Haskell to undergrads at Uni. of Edinburgh. Some would get very
> excited and then proceed to stop using other programming languages,
> calling them inferior - until they had to get a job, that is :) There
> is of course a movement towards functional features in languages
> across the board, and Javascript has many nice functional
> capabilities, such as first-class functions, and designing APIs with
> better async is now happening, i.e. "promises". Yet developing and
> using these APIs still a black art for many WGs and developers, so
> guidance is definitely necessary in this space.

Harry,

So we have something along the following lines:

1. Programmable Web of Apps -- for the JS virtual machine
2. Actionable Web of Intentions -- for Web Intents
3. Web of Linked Data -- for Linked Data and Semantic Web.

Methinks, each of the above is the basis for specialization volumes
derived from the existing core AWWW volumes.

Kingsley

--

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen