Re: Logging out from Facebook

From: L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org>
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2011 10:59:16 -0700
To: Noah Mendelsohn <nrm@arcanedomain.com>
Cc: Karl Dubost <karld@opera.com>, Jeni Tennison <jeni@jenitennison.com>, "www-tag@w3.org List" <www-tag@w3.org>
On Sunday 2011-09-25 10:47 -0400, Noah Mendelsohn wrote:
> As a partial workaround, I note that Firefox has an option in its
> privacy settings to delete cookies whenever the browser is closed.
> Am I right in assuming that this will indeed effectively "log one
> out"?

Yes, if:
 * the site is using cookies (and only cookies) to identify you, and
 * you're not using session restore [1] or you're not (in that
   session being restored) on a site having anything to do with that
   cookie

That said, I keep hearing about how sites are or may be using other
methods to track users (flash local shared objects, fingerprinting),
possibly in combination with each other.

-David

[1] session restore being Preferences -> General -> When Firefox
starts: show my windows and tabs from last time, or the similar
behavior that occurs when you're prompted to restart the browser