Re: Logging out from Facebook

On 2011-09-25, at 18:59 +0100, L. David Baron wrote:

> That said, I keep hearing about how sites are or may be using other
> methods to track users (flash local shared objects, fingerprinting),
> possibly in combination with each other.

There are significant pieces of today's Web Architecture that depend on keeping a certain amount of client state — in-browser caching comes to mind as a rather fundamental example.

If there is sufficiently high-entropy client side state, and if that state can be accessed by a web application (using JavaScript code or HTTP or something else), then tracking is technically possible.