Courtesy notification: call for consensus on HTML normative language reference issues

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 11:16:36 -0800
Cc: Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, Paul Cotton <paul.cotton@microsoft.com>, "Michael(tm) Smith" <mike@w3.org>, Philippe Le Hegaret <plh@w3.org>
To: "www-tag@w3.org WG" <www-tag@w3.org>

At TPAC, the TAG and HTML WG met jointly and discussed several topics.
One of them was the notion of a normative language reference. My take-
away from that session was that we had rough consensus on the following:

- The author-only view of the main document, plus the fact that it was
actively maintained and reviewed by itself for quality, was sufficient
to largely satisfy the requirements for a normative language reference.
- There was no need to try to publish Mike's HTML: The Markup Langauge
draft as an additional normative spec, but it could be useful as a non-
normative reference guide to only the markup syntax of HTML5.

Based on this, we have issued a Call for Consensus to close the
related HTML Working Group issues without prejudice:

ISSUE-59 - normative-language-reference - http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2009Dec/0249.html
ISSUE-67 - h:tml-parsing-dom - http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2009Dec/0248.html

Note: closing without prejudice simply means further changes in this
area will not be treated as Last Call blockers by the HTML WG.

A member of the TAG asked for the TAG to be notified and given a
chance to respond[1]. Therefore we are sending this notification and
will extend the call for consensus until January 7th, to give the TAG
a meaningful opportunity to review the issues and reply.

Regards,
Maciej

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2009Dec/0369.html