Re: I-D ACTION:draft-hendrikx-wallis-urn-nzl-00.txt

From: Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 12:58:22 -0800
Cc: "'Michael Mealling'" <michael@neonym.net>, Didier Martin <martind@netfolder.com>, colin.wallis@ssc.govt.nz, ferry.hendrikx@ssc.govt.nz
To: "'W3C TAG'" <www-tag@w3.org>

On Feb 14, 2005, at 11:16 AM, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> I did not intend it to be scientific.  There were many naming systems
> that predated the Web and many that have been defined since the Web,
> but none of them have succeeded beyond the scope of a limited group
> of people who either were not given a choice or who whose grant
> money was tied to their use.

Noah has reminded me (off-list) that there is at least one other
example that has been successful, namely UUIDs/GUIDs.  There are
definite advantages to completely automated, decentralized naming
systems (e.g., DCE to COM to urn:uuid:) that have no equivalent
in hierarchical URLs, although the urn: prefix does not provide
any value in this case.

....Roy