Re: XSL/XML Query functions and operators namespace document

On Tue, 2005-04-05 at 11:31 -0400, Norman Walsh wrote:
> For this round of publication, the XSL and XML Query WGs attempted
> to provide a namespace document for the functions and operators
> document. Specifically, one that allowed every user-available
> function to be identified with a URI, e.g.:
>
>   http://www.w3.org/2005/04/xpath-functions/#local-name

Er... what it says is

[[
Each function and operator is uniquely identified with a URI of the
form: ´http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-xpath-functions-20050404/#nameˇ
where name is the name of a function or operator, such as ´maxˇ:
http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-xpath-functions-20050404/#max.
]]

(Hmm.. no signature nor "last modified" info on that document.
HTTP says
Last-Modified: Tue, 05 Apr 2005 16:11:00 GMT)

This business of grounding terms in the web is something that
came up in the SKOS work too...
 grounding terms in URI space
 Dan Connolly 2 Mar 2005
 http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-esw-thes/2005Mar/0011

A term is grounded in the web when dereferencing the term confirms
(at least some aspects of) the meaning of the term. So if it's a
term for an RDF property, dereferencing it should give you something
that says it's an RDF property.

When I look up
 http://www.w3.org/2005/04/xpath-functions/#max
I don't get confirmation that that URI refers to
an XQuery function; rather, I am told that
 http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-xpath-functions-20050404/#max
refers to an XQuery function.

> This use of namespaces and namespace documents has been a subject of
> discussion on this list in the past, so I wanted to draw your
> attention to it.
>
> One thing I didn't get to do in time for this round was make it a
> proper RDDL document. There's some irony in that, to be sure, but I'm
> not sure what the nature and purpose URIs should be for function
> definitions anyway.

(double-checking... http://www.rddl.org/#nature is like rdf:type
and each purpose is like an RDF property... ok...)

I think a/the nature (i.e. rdf:type) of an XQuery function
is owl:FunctionalProperty.

I can't think of any relevant uses of rddl:purpose.

D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E