Re: XSL/XML Query functions and operators namespace document

On Tue, 2005-04-05 at 11:31 -0400, Norman Walsh wrote:
> For this round of publication, the XSL and XML Query WGs attempted
> to provide a namespace document for the functions and operators
> document. Specifically, one that allowed every user-available
> function to be identified with a URI, e.g.:
>
>   http://www.w3.org/2005/04/xpath-functions/#local-name

Hmm... we seem to get URIs for functions (e.g. max, abs)
but not for operators (e.g. multiply).

[[
Functions defined with the op: prefix are described here to underpin the
definitions of the operators in [XPath 2.0], [XQuery 1.0: An XML Query
Language] and [XSLT 2.0]. These functions are not available directly to
users, and there is no requirement that implementations should actually
provide these functions. For this reason, no namespace is associated
with the op: prefix. For example, multiplication is generally associated
with the * operator, but it is described as a function in this document:

op:multiply($arg1 as numeric, $arg2 as numeric) as numeric
]]

http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/WD-xpath-functions-20041029/#namespace-prefixes

I had expected that F&O would suffice to obsolete many of the cwm
built-ins...
  http://www.w3.org/2000/10/swap/doc/CwmBuiltins

e.g.
  http://www.w3.org/2000/10/swap/math#product

... just as owl:sameAs obsoleted daml:equivalentTo .

But that doesn't seem to be the plan. Hmm... the multiplication
operation seems worthy of a standaridzed URI, to me, following...

"To benefit from and increase the value of the World Wide Web, agents
should provide URIs as identifiers for resources."
 -- http://www.w3.org/TR/webarch/#pr-use-uris

I haven't sent a last call comment yet. I'm still mulling it over a bit.
But I probably will, unless somebody else beats me to it or somebody
talks me out of it.

D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E