W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-tag@w3.org > October 2003

[Agenda] 20 Oct 2003 TAG teleconf (abstractComponentRefs-37, writing assignment review)

From: Ian B. Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
Date: 16 Oct 2003 12:16:44 -0400
To: www-tag@w3.org
Message-Id: <1066321004.14099.97.camel@seabright>
Hello,

The agenda of the 20 Oct 2003 TAG teleconf is available
as HTML [1] and as text below.

 _ Ian

[1] http://www.w3.org/2003/10/20-tag

========================================================

                 Agenda of 20 October 2003 TAG teleconference

   Note: The Chair does not expect the agenda to change after close of
   business (Boston time) Thursday of this week.

1. Administrative (15min)

    1. Welcome, Roll call. Regrets: SW.
    2. Accept the minutes of the [8]6-8 Oct ftf in Bristol?
    3. Accept this [9]agenda?
    4. Next meeting: 27 Oct 2003 teleconference
    5. Reminder: Action items related to Arch Document due 22 October.

      [8] http://www.w3.org/2003/10/06-tag-summary.html
      [9] http://www.w3.org/2003/10/20-tag.html

   Upcoming meeting topics:
     * 27 Oct:
          + Draft finding from NW and DO: [10]Versioning XML Languages,
            18 Sep draft. What to include in arch doc?
          + Discuss AC meeting presentation
     * 10 Nov: Last meeting to review Arch Doc with possibility of action
       items

     [10] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/versioning

  1.1 TAG update at Nov 2003 AC meeting.

    1. Completed action SW 2003/09/29: Draft summary based on monthly
       reports from previous six months (for AC meeting). See
       [11]previous highlights.
    2. Action DO, CL 2003/10/07: Draft presentation for the AC meeting.

     [11] http://www.w3.org/2003/05/19-sb-COO-Summary.html#Technical2

2. Technical (75min)

    1. abstractComponentRefs-37
    2. Review of 3023-related actions
    3. Review of Architecture Document writing assignments

  2.1 abstractComponentRefs-37

     * [12]abstractComponentRefs-37: [13]Summary of options from DO
          + Action DO 2003/10/08: Write up resolution from 8 Oct 2003
            meeting and include in finding on this topic.

     [12] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/ilist#abstractComponentRefs-37
     [13] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2003Jun/0054.html

  2.2 Review of 3023-related actions

          Actions 2003/10/08:
          - NW to liaise with Paul Grosso and the XML Core WG
          - TBL and DC to liaise with the IETF regarding obsoleting RFC
          3023.
          - TB to talk to authors of 3023 about inclusion as appendix in
          xml 1.1.
          - TBL and DC will talk to the Architecture Domain Lead.

  2.3 Review of Architecture Document writing assignments

   Latest draft is the [14]1 Oct 2003 WD of the Arch Doc.

     [14] http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-webarch-20031001/

   TimBray

         1. Action TB 2003/10/08: Write up a paragraph for section 3 on
            syntax-based interoperability.
         2. Action TB 2003/10/08: Write a paragraph of rationale for why
            error handling good in the context of the Web.
         3. Action TB 2003/10/08: Propose a revised paragraph to replace
            the "Furthermore" sentence in section 2.3

   Stuart

          + Completed action SW: Send to IJ draft diagrams

   Ian

         1. Action IJ 2003/10/08: Add ed note to abstract that the
            abstract will be rewritten.
         2. Action IJ 2003/10/08: Starting from DO's diagram, create a
            diagram where the relationships and terms are linked back to
            the context where defined. Ensure that the relationships are
            in fact used in the narrative; any gaps identified? With DO,
            work on term relationship diagram.
         3. Action IJ 2003/10/08: Draft good practice note for 4.4.
         4. Action IJ 2003/10/08: In 2.4, add story that shows how two
            classes of error can arise (inconsistency v. no frag id
            semantics defined). Frame story in terms of secondary
            resources.
         5. Action IJ 2003/10/08: Split persistency section into two and
            move http redirection para there, with appropriate rewrites.
         6. Action IJ 2003/10/08: Update OWL ref since in CR
         7. Action IJ 2003/10/08: Add a future work section for
            identifiers that the TAG expects to summarize various URI
            schemes and what agents can infer from the scheme.

   David

         1. Action DO,NW 2003/10/08: Make the summary to replace 4.5
            Extensibility and Versioning in the arch doc

   Chris

         1. Action CL 2003/07/21: Discuss and propose improved wording of
            language regarding SVG spec in bulleted list in 2.5.1.

   Norm

         1. Action NW 2003/10/08: Write up text on information
            hiding/abstraction respect for before 2/3/4.
         2. Action NW 2003/10/08: Revise QName finding. We will also add
            those two good practice notes to section 2:
              1. If you use Qnames, provide a mapping to URIs.
              2. Don't define an attribute that can take either a URI or
                 a Qname since they are not syntactically
                 distinguishable."
         3. Action NW 2003/10/08: Rewrite the last paragraph of 4.9.2 to
            be less inflammatory about DTDs
         4. Action NW 2003/10/08: Massage three paragraphs following good
            practice note about persistency at beginning of 2.6.

   Roy

         1. Action RF 2003/10/08: Explain "identifies" in RFC 2396.

   TBL

         1. Action TBL 2003/07/14: Suggest changes to section about
            extensibility related to "when to tunnel".

   DC

         1. Action DC 2003/07/21: Propose language for section 2.8.5
            showing examples of freenet and other systems.

     _________________________________________________________________

   The TAG does not expect to cover these issues

  2.5 Findings

   See also [15]TAG findings home page.
     * [16]whenToUseGet-7: Finding: [17]URIs, Addressability, and the use
       of HTTP GET and POST
          + Action DC 2003/09/15: Provide TAG with pointers into WS specs
            where issue of safe operations is manifest.
          + Action DO 2003/09/15: Ask WSDL WG to look at finding; ask
            them if marking operations as safe in WSDL is one of their
            requirements.
          + See [18]comments from Noah, however.
     * [19]contentPresentation-26: Draft finding: [20]Separation of
       semantic and presentational markup, to the extent possible, is
       architecturally sound
          + Action CL 2003/10/08: Talk with others about aspects of this
            finding and revise it.
     * [21]contentTypeOverride-24: 9 July 2003 draft of [22]Client
       handling of MIME headers
         1. Completed action RF 2003/09/15: Proposed substitute text in
            light of [23]previous comments on charset param. ([24]Done)
         2. [25]Comments from Philipp Hoschka about usability issues when
            user involved in error correction. Is there a new Voice spec
            out we can point to for example behavior?
         3. [26]Comments from Chris Lilley
         4. Lots of [27]comments from Martin Duerst
         5. Action IJ 2003/10/08: Produce a new draft of the finding that
            takes into account comments from reviewers on MIME finding.
     * [28]metadataInURI-31: 8 July 2003 draft of "[29]The use of
       Metadata in URIs"
          + Action SW 2003/07/21: Produce a revision of this finding
            based on Vancouver ftf meeting discussion.
          + Action DO 2003/07/07: Send rationale about why WSDL WG wants
            to peek inside the URI.
          + See also [30]TB email on Apple Music Store and use of URI
            schemes instead of headers
          + See comments from [31]Mark Nottingham and [32]followup from
            Noah M.
     * [33]11 Sep 2003 draft of Deep Linking in the WWW
          + Completed action IJ 2003/10/08: Republish as accepted and
            signal to person who raised the issue (Michael Kay).
          + Pending action IJ 2003/09/15: Take back to Comm Team
            publicity of this document

     [15] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/findings/
     [16] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/ilist.html#whenToUseGet-7
     [17] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/whenToUseGet-20030922
     [18] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2003Sep/0160.html
     [19] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/open-summary.html#contentPresentation-26
     [20] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/contentPresentation-26-20030630.html
     [21] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/open-summary.html#contentTypeOverride-24
     [22] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/mime-respect.html
     [23] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2003Jul/0051.html
     [24] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2003Sep/0043.html
     [25] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/tag/2003Jul/0076.html
     [26] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2003Jul/0113.html
     [27] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2003Sep/0108.html
     [28] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/open-summary.html#metadataInURI-31
     [29] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/metaDataInURI-31
     [30] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2003Apr/0151.html
     [31] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2003Aug/0048.html
     [32] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2003Aug/0055.html
     [33] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/deeplinking-20030911.html

    2.2.1 Expected new findings

     * [34]siteData-36
          + Action TB 2003/10/08: Refine strawman from 8 Oct 2003 meeting
            and draft finding.
     * [35]abstractComponentRefs-37: [36]Summary of options from DO
          + Action DO 2003/10/08: Write up resolution from 8 Oct 2003
            meeting and include in finding on this topic.

     [34] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/ilist#siteData-36
     [35] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/ilist#abstractComponentRefs-37
     [36] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2003Jun/0054.html

  2.6 Issues

   The TAG does not expect to discuss these issues at this meeting.

    2.6.1 Identifiers ([37]URIEquivalence-15 , [38]IRIEverywhere-27)

     [37] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/open-summary.html#URIEquivalence-15
     [38] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/open-summary.html#IRIEverywhere-27

     * [39]URIEquivalence-15
          + SW proposal: Track RFC2396bis where [40]Tim Bray text has
            been integrated. Comment within the IETF process. Move this
            issue to pending state.
     * [41]IRIEverywhere-27
          + Action CL 2003/04/07: Revised position statement on use of
            IRIs.
          + Action TBL 2003/04/28: Explain how existing specifications
            that handle IRIs are inconsistent. [42]TBL draft not yet
            available on www-tag.
          + See TB's [43]proposed step forward on IRI 27.

     [39] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/open-summary.html#URIEquivalence-15
     [40] http://www.textuality.com/tag/uri-comp-4
     [41] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/open-summary.html#IRIEverywhere-27
     [42] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/tag/2003Apr/0074.html
     [43] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2003Apr/0090.html

    2.6.2 Qnames, fragments, and media types([44]rdfmsQnameUriMapping-6,
    [45]fragmentInXML-28, [46]abstractComponentRefs-37, [47]putMediaType-38)

     [44] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/open-summary.html#rdfmsQnameUriMapping-6
     [45] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/ilist#fragmentInXML-28
     [46] http://www.w3.org/2003/07/24-tag-summary.html#abstractComponentRefs-37
     [47] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/open-summary.html#putMediaType-38

     * [48]xmlIDSemantics-32: [49]Chris Lilley draft finding.
          + The TAG is monitoring the Core WG's progress on this issue.
     * [50]rdfmsQnameUriMapping-6
          + Action DC 2003/02/06: Propose TAG response to XML Schema
            desideratum ([51]RQ-23).
     * [52]fragmentInXML-28 : Use of fragment identifiers in XML.
         1. Connection to content negotiation?
         2. Connection to opacity of URIs?
         3. No actions associated / no owner.
     * [53]putMediaType-38

     [48] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/ilist#xmlIDSemantics-32
     [49] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/xmlIDSemantics-32.html
     [50] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/open-summary.html#rdfmsQnameUriMapping-6
     [51] http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-xmlschema-11-req-20030121/#N400183
     [52] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/ilist#fragmentInXML-28
     [53] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/open-summary.html#putMediaType-38

    2.6.3 New and other Issues requested for discussion.
    ([54]mixedUIXMLNamespace-33, [55]RDFinXHTML-35, [56]siteData-36 plus
    possible new issues)

     [54] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/ilist#mixedUIXMLNamespace-33
     [55] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/ilist#RDFinXHTML-35
     [56] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/ilist#siteData-36

   Existing Issues:
     * [57]mixedUIXMLNamespace-33
     * [58]RDFinXHTML-35

     [57] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/ilist#mixedUIXMLNamespace-33
     [58] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/ilist#RDFinXHTML-35

    2.6.4 Miscellaneous issues

     * [59]namespaceDocument-8
          + Action PC 2003/04/07: Prepare finding to answer this issue,
            pointing to the RDDL Note. See [60]comments from Paul
            regarding TB theses. From 21 July ftf meeting, due 31 August.
          + Action PC 2003/09/08: Providing WebArch text as well for this
            issue.
          + Action TB 2003/09/15: Add "Hello World" example to next draft
            of RDDL Spec (i.e., to edited version of [61]RDDL draft 4).
          + Action TB 2003/09/15: Produce schemaware for RDDL spec once
            TAG has consensus on the syntax.
          + Refer to draft TAG [62]opinion from Tim Bray on the use of
            URNs for namespace names.
     * [63]uriMediaType-9
          + IANA appears to have responded to the spirit of this draft
            (see [64]email from Chris Lilley).What's required to close
            this issue?
          + Action CL 2003/05/05: Propose CL's three changes to
            registration process to Ned Freed. [What forum?]
     * [65]HTTPSubstrate-16
          + Action RF 2003/02/06: Write a response to IESG asking whether
            the Web services example in the SOAP 1.2 primer is intended
            to be excluded from RFC 3205
          + See [66]message from Larry Masinter w.r.t. Web services.
     * [67]xlinkScope-23
          + See [68]draft, and [69]SW message to CG chairs.
          + Action CL 2003/06/30: Ping the chairs of those groups asking
            for an update on xlinkScope-23.
     * [70]binaryXML-30
          + Action TB 2003/02/17: Write to www-tag with his thoughts on
            adding to survey.
          + Action IJ 2003/07/21: Add link from issues list binaryXML-30
            to upcoming workshop
          + Next steps to finding? See [71]summary from Chris.
     * [72]xmlFunctions-34
          + Action TBL 2003/02/06: State the issue with a reference to
            XML Core work. See [73]email from TimBL capturing some of the
            issues.
     * [74]charmodReview-17
         1. Action SW 2003/10/08: Follow up with I18N folks on status of
            TAG's charmod comments.
         2. [75]Mail from DC to I18N WG in light of new Charmod draft
     * [76]rdfURIMeaning-39

     [59] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2003/07/21-tag#namespaceDocument-8
     [60] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/tag/2003Apr/0046.html
     [61] http://www.tbray.org/tag/rddl4.html
     [62] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2003Jun/0003.html
     [63] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/open-summary.html#uriMediaType-9
     [64] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2003Feb/0302.html
     [65] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/open-summary.html#HTTPSubstrate-16
     [66] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2003Feb/0208.html
     [67] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/ilist.html#xlinkScope-23
     [68] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/tag/2003Mar/0094.html
     [69] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/tag/2003Mar/0104
     [70] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/open-summary.html#binaryXML-30
     [71] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2003Feb/0224.html
     [72] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/ilist#xmlFunctions-34
     [73] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2003Feb/0309.html
     [74] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/ilist#charmodReview-17
     [75] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/tag/2003Sep/0019.html
     [76] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/ilist.html#rdfURIMeaning-39

3. Other actions

     * Action IJ 2003/02/06: Modify issues list to show that
       actions/pending are orthogonal to decisions. PLH has put the
       issues list in production; see the [77]DOM issues list.

     [77] http://www.w3.org/2003/06/09-dom-core-issues/issues.html

     _________________________________________________________________


    Ian Jacobs for Norm Walsh and TimBL
    Last modified: $Date: 2003/10/16 16:15:58 $

-- 
Ian Jacobs (ij@w3.org)   http://www.w3.org/People/Jacobs
Tel:                     +1 718 260-9447

Received on Thursday, 16 October 2003 12:18:47 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Thursday, 26 April 2012 12:47:21 GMT