Re: TB16 Re: Comments on arch doc draft

From: Michael Mealling <michael@neonym.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 17:37:15 -0400
To: Paul Prescod <paul@prescod.net>
Cc: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>, www-tag@w3.org

On Tue, Jul 02, 2002 at 02:28:49PM -0700, Paul Prescod wrote:
> "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" wrote:
> > It worked well enough for markup until
> > namespaces were introduced.
>
> XML has many references to web architecture embedded in it. Most are
> much more inconvenient for offline use than namespaces. Nobody seems to
> mind. We SGML-ers swore that requiring system identifiers would make XML
> unusable off the Web. We were wrong.
>
> > ... Maybe the
> > problem is namespaces and then perhaps
> > the only problem is insisting that to
> > be a namespace it must be dereferenceable.
>
> There is essentially no circumstance where it is difficult to make
> namespaces dereferencable and if there were such a circumstance it would
> be handled by the distinction between SHOULD and MUST. There is a reason
> that there is a distinction.

If there were some language in there explaining why it was SHOULD and
what valid reasons for not following the recommendation I would be
much happier...

But still, I think the language should not mention any particular URI scheme.
Only particular semantics that schemes would need for a given application.

-MM

Michael Mealling	|      Vote Libertarian!       | urn:pin:1
michael@neonym.net      |                              | http://www.neonym.net