Re: TB16 Re: Comments on arch doc draft

From: Paul Prescod <paul@prescod.net>
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2002 14:28:49 -0700
To: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>, www-tag@w3.org

"Bullard, Claude L (Len)" wrote:

> It worked well enough for markup until
> namespaces were introduced.

XML has many references to web architecture embedded in it. Most are
much more inconvenient for offline use than namespaces. Nobody seems to
mind. We SGML-ers swore that requiring system identifiers would make XML
unusable off the Web. We were wrong.

> ... Maybe the
> problem is namespaces and then perhaps
> the only problem is insisting that to
> be a namespace it must be dereferenceable.

There is essentially no circumstance where it is difficult to make
namespaces dereferencable and if there were such a circumstance it would
be handled by the distinction between SHOULD and MUST. There is a reason
that there is a distinction.

 Paul Prescod