Re: [matrix][cssom-view] DOMPoint, DOMPointLiteral definitions

From: Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2013 23:05:21 -0700
To: Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>
CC: "Robert O'Callahan" <robert@ocallahan.org>, www-style <www-style@w3.org>, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>, "public-script-coord@w3.org" <public-script-coord@w3.org>

On Oct 2, 2013, at 4:22 PM, Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 02 Oct 2013 14:44:31 +0200, Robert O'Callahan
> <robert@ocallahan.org> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 3:42 AM, Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com> wrote:
>>
>>> On Tue, 01 Oct 2013 21:15:30 +0200, Robert O'Callahan <
>>> robert@ocallahan.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Now we have three interfaces where only two are needed. Why shouldn't
>>>>

>>> In
>>> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/**Public/www-style/2013Sep/0725.**html<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2013Sep/0725.html>you
>>> argued that that would be confusing. Did you change your mind, or was
>>> it only confusing for "immutable"?
>>>

>> As long as it's clear that ReadOnly != Immutable, I think it's OK.
>>
>> I think readonly<Foo> is going to be difficult to define and will also be
>> clumsy. An interface might have arbitrary mutation methods on it, e.g.
>> Foo::reset(), and there will be no easy way to automatically obviate such
>> methods without additional annotations. I don't think we should go that
>> way.
>
> OK.

I would like to know if we all agree on the model: Foo (mutable and modifiable); FooReadOnly (just readable, might be mutable or immutable). Can we settle on this model? If their are still doubts and requests for readonly<Foo> instead, we should resolve them before we introduce APIs that need to be deprecated later.

Does the stringifier for Foo look different to FooReadOnly? I would expect so, otherwise we would need to introduce an indicator for web developers if the current object is readonly.

Greetings,
Dirk