Re: [css3-page] Idea for simplier page-margin boxes

From: Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@exyr.org>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 14:45:12 +0100
To: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
CC: www-style@w3.org, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>, Julian Viereck <julian.viereck@googlemail.com>
Le 25/03/2013 10:45, Håkon Wium Lie a écrit :
> The page margin model is based on table layout.

It’s not. Not since 7 years ago:
http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/WD-css3-page-20061010/#margin-dimension

> For example, from [1]
[…]
>    [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-css3-page-20030909/

Why are you quoting a decade-old version that has been updated multiple
times since?

> So, it's been a goal to latch onto some exisiting model/code and avoid
> new layout schemes. Using tables make sense, I believe, as it avoids
> overlapping content.

I just started a new thread about this. The subject says flexbox, but if
tables can cover the use cases please discuss there:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2013Mar/0557.html

> The prose in the specification has since changed and I agree that it's
> too complex. Here's my attempt at simplifying it:
>
>    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2010Aug/0155.html

Come on Håkon, where have you been in the past year? Since January 2012,
I have written about this to this list several times, proposed a
replacement algorithm, made a few iterations on it, edited it in the
spec, and published an updated WD with it.

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2012Jan/0441.html
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2012Jun/0184.html
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2012Jul/0036.html
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2013Mar/0255.html
http://www.w3.org/TR/2013/WD-css3-page-20130314/#variable-sizing

In all this time, you, an editor of this module, never gave any response.

Now, could you please stop pretending that none of this happened, focus
on what’s in the ED, and maybe help improve it?

Sincerely,
--
Simon Sapin