Re: [css3-page] Idea for simplier page-margin boxes

Simon Sapin wrote:

 > 2. The layout of paged-margin boxes themselves. The "fixed dimension"
 > part is relatively simple (similar to inline dimension of block boxes),
 > but I agree that the variable dimension is more complicated than it
 > should be. The previous algorithm was even more horrible to implement
 > (look at the 2006 WD if you’re curious) but I tried to make it better.
 > I’m open to changing it again, possibly using the flexbox algorithm.

How about using the table algorithm? The rendering of the top margin boxes would be described with:

  #top-left-corner { text-align: right; vertical-align: middle }
  #top-left { text-align: left; vertical-align: middle }
  #top-center { text-align: center; vertical-align: middle }
  #top-right { text-align: right; vertical-align: middle }
  #top-right-corner { text-align: left; vertical-align: middle }
  #page-area { /* determined elsewhere */ }

Likewise, the left, right and bottom margin boxes could be described this way.

If we need to simplify, droppig the six left-* and right-* margin
boxes may be an option -- I can't recall ever having used these.

Margin boxes on the side of a page often need even more precise
placement:

  http://people.opera.com/howcome/2013/tests/margin-boxes.jpg

Cheers,

-h&kon