Re: Alternative Style Sheets

From: Markus Ernst <derernst@gmx.ch>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2012 11:13:13 +0200
To: www-style@gtalbot.org
Am 14.10.2012 03:59 schrieb "Gérard Talbot":
>> Let me give you an example. My favorite football club recently
>> redesigned their website. It's awful: http://www.fcz.ch - they seemed to
>> try hard to make it look "hip hop" resp. "urban", as they expect this to
>> be what the fans like.
>
> Most likely those football club fans are under 35-40 years old when/where
> they do not mind small (and/or frozen) font sizes. Also, often web
> designers are youngsters who do not have low vision and who prefer to have
> a lot of stuff filing webpages and lots of flash animated stuff, cosmetic
> effects, over-excessively driven by javascript, DHTML, etc.
>
>> I doubt that there was any chance for the web
>> designer to change the design towards more accessibility. But if (s)he
>> could have suggested one or two alternate style sheets that respect
>> accessibility needs, I am sure (s)he would have got the budget to write
>> them.
>
> Markus, I respectfully still disagree with you. I do not want websites to
> create, develop, manage, tune alternate stylesheets in the name accessible
> font-size and suitable/reasonable color contrast for
> readability/legibility purposes. I want the normal default style sheets to
> be accessible, not to override users' font-size, etc.

Well I agree with these points of yours. The crucial question in this
branch of the thread seems to be: Should the CSS spec be educational,
should it force authors towards what the spec authors consider good
design, and penalize bad design? Or is it ok also to offer good
workarounds for bad design?

I personnally tend to the latter. You can't stop people from making bad
designs if they think what they create is "cool". But you could convince
some of them to provide a useful alternative for those who have problems
with that "cool" stuff. This is the background of my suggestion.