Re: [css3-transforms][css4-background] Should the spec have {background,transform,perspective}-origin-x/y

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2012 13:41:53 -0700
To: www-style@w3.org
On 10/11/2012 09:35 AM, L. David Baron wrote:
> On Thursday 2012-09-27 12:44 -0400, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
>> Apparently WebKit implements transform-origin-x and
>> transform-origin-y properties.  Should these be in the spec,
>> perhaps?
>
> I think we should do the same thing for transform-origin-x/y/z,
> perspective-origin-x/y, and background-origin-x/y.  I don't have a
> strong opinion which way, but I'd like to keep these consistent.

background-origin doesn't take positions, it takes the keywords
border-box/padding-box/content-box.

> So I'm tagging this thread as [css4-background] as well, which I
> think should interest some additional folks in the conversation.

The main issue with background-position-x and background-position-y
is that they prevent the introduction of logical-keywords positions,
something the i18nwg has been requesting for many years and which
we deferred from L3 to L4. There's some discussion of the issue here:
   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2012Jun/0498.html

~fantasai