Re: [css3-writing-modes] before/after terminology alternative?

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2012 13:37:22 -0700
To: "Martin J. Dürst" <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>
CC: liam@w3.org, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, koba <koba@antenna.co.jp>, Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gluesoft.co.jp>, www-style@w3.org, Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com>, MURAKAMI Shinyu <murakami@antenna.co.jp>, "public-i18n-cjk@w3.org" <public-i18n-cjk@w3.org>
On 10/10/2012 06:45 PM, "Martin J. Dürst" wrote:

>> I raised this particular issue years ago, but nobody
>> came up with a sensible alternative until this year. :/
>
> Are you saying that with start, head, end, foot, it's more clear, without memorizing it beforehand, which set belongs to which
> axis?

I think linking 'head' to the concept of "header" and 'foot' to the
concept of "footer" makes it more clear. E.g. <thead> is always on
the block-before side of the table. Then start/end has to be along
the other axis.

> If we only think about horizontal, it might be, but in this case, it's crucial that this also works with vertical. And
> if I think e.g. about some Japanese vertical text (where the first line is at the right), then it's quite easy to guess that
> head means top, and foot means bottom, and therefore start has to be right and end has to be left. But that guess would be all
> wrong.

Fair enough.

> So rather than using something that lets some people guess things correctly some time, but leads people totally astray in
> other cases, I'd prefer words that, while they may have the problem of not inducing the right connotations, also don't induce
> wrong connotations.

~fantasai