RE: [css3-writing-modes] before/after terminology alternative?

From: Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2012 19:19:57 +0000
To: "Martin J. Dürst" <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>, "liam@w3.org" <liam@w3.org>
CC: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>, koba <koba@antenna.co.jp>, Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gluesoft.co.jp>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>, Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com>, MURAKAMI Shinyu <murakami@antenna.co.jp>, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, "public-i18n-cjk@w3.org" <public-i18n-cjk@w3.org>

["Martin J. Dürst":]

> Just an additional datapoint in this discussion:
>
> I just noticed that CSS already has properties page-break-before and page-
> break-after (see http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/page.html#page-break-props).
> Rather obviously, these indicate the same directions as the -before and -
> after relative direction properties already in XSL-FO, but are orthogonal
> to the :before and :after pseudo-elements.
>
> These seem not to have caused any significant confusion up to now.

That it does not seem to have caused confusion may mostly reflect that one
is much better known than the other.

Also, when preceded and qualified with the word 'page' I don't see how they
could be confusing. As stand-alone directional words before and after are
imo potentially confusing for anyone familiar with ::before/::after which is
to say a very large proportion of CSS authors.