RE: [css3-lists] marker-side vs. marker-direction

From: Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2012 18:53:54 +0000
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>, "public-i18n-bidi@w3.org" <public-i18n-bidi@w3.org>, "'Aharon (Vladimir) Lanin'" <aharon@google.com>

[fantasai:]
> But I think this isn't quite what we want: it doesn't address the base
> directionality of the marker. If the marker is associated with the list,
> not the list item, then its base directionality also needs to be taken
> from the list, and not the list item. Otherwise any leading/trailing
> punctuation may wind up in the wrong order. So it isn't a question of the
> marker's "side" so much as its "direction". In which case maybe the
> property should be 'marker-direction: match-self | match-parent'.

Fwiw match-self makes no sense to me; if the thing has no direction and needs
to get it from somewhere else it seems odd to ask it to 'match itself'.

Why is match-item/match-list bad? These are the very terms you use to explain
this in your paragraph. I'm not sure being more abstract is helpful in this case.