Re: [css3-fonts][css-variables][css-counter-styles-3][css3-values] Case sensitivity of user-defined identifiers

From: François REMY <fremycompany_pub@yahoo.fr>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2012 18:24:00 +0200
To: "Boris Zbarsky" <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Cc: <www-style@w3.org>
|  > Actually, they are both.
|
|  Well, right, but there is no problem in my mind with making property
|  _values_ case-sensitive as needed.

If the property names are case insensitive, the way to reference them should
be case insensitive, too. Otherwhise, you will get weird behaviors...

{
    a: lower-value;
    A: UPPER-VALUE;
    b: use(a);
    C: use(A);
}

I think the sanest solution here is to have identifiers be
ASCII-insensitives. In that case, the previous case would resolve into

{
    a: upper-value;
    b: upper-value;
    c: upper-value
}

Strings and URI would then be the only case-sensitive tokens in the CSS
value syntax (because of external requirements).