Re: [css-om][css3-conditional] spaces, newlines and rule serialization

From: Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2012 10:16:18 -0600
To: Florian Rivoal <florianr@opera.com>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 2:28 AM, Florian Rivoal <florianr@opera.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Jul 2012 22:46:58 +0200, Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com> wrote:
>
>  Webkit appends "; ", not ";", so there is still a difference. IMO, the
>> spec
>> should prohibit adding either "; " or ";", and the implementations should
>> be changed accordingly.
>>

> I was just commenting on the presence of the semicolon. If you want to get
> into details, Firefox and future Opera also append "; ".

Not according to my testing [1]. I'm seeing three different behaviors from
Safari 6.0, Opera 12.0, and FF 14.0.1 (current downloads). This seems
pretty inconsistent, and indicates to me that Web authors are effectively
ignoring these differences (by using their own normalization). Given this
case, I think we have some leeway to choose which version we think is most
correct.

Safari - appends "; " [SEMICOLON SPACE]
Opera - appends neither ";" nor "; "
FF - appends ";" [SEMICOLON]

I haven't tested a recent version of IE.

[1]
http://hg.csswg.org/test/raw-file/tip/contributors/gadams/incoming/cssom/cssstyledeclaration-csstext-000.xht