Re: [css-om][css3-conditional] spaces, newlines and rule serialization

From: Florian Rivoal <florianr@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 10:28:52 +0200
To: "Glenn Adams" <glenn@skynav.com>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
On Wed, 25 Jul 2012 22:46:58 +0200, Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com> wrote:

> Webkit appends "; ", not ";", so there is still a difference. IMO, the
> spec
> should prohibit adding either "; " or ";", and the implementations should
> be changed accordingly.

I was just commenting on the presence of the semicolon. If you want to get
into details, Firefox and future Opera also append "; ". If we were
starting
 from scratch, I'd agree with you. Given that we just had to switch away
from
that behavior to the "; " behavior because of real world site compatibility
issues, I'll be against this change, on grounds of "don't break the web".

> Unless *all* major browsers produce exactly the same behavior, my
> position
> is that we can change to a more rational, standard behavior. Let's
> determine if there is universal agreement on behavior yet before
> adopting a
> position.

Well, currently, Opera, firefox and webkit  do produce the exact same
thing for style rules (modulo the semi column, but we're aligning) and for
media rules. I would venture that this is not by chance, but rather
because we have copied each-other (or copied IE) to solve interoperability
bugs.