Re: [css3-values] Physical length units

From: Florian Rivoal <florianr@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 16:46:36 +0100
To: www-style@w3.org
On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 16:18:18 +0100, Matthew Wilcox <elvendil@gmail.com>
wrote:

>> Just like authors should expect the 1rem to match be sized to whatever
>> the
>> default font size should be for that particular user in that particular
>> environment for things to be readable,
>
> Um, I don't. I expect it to be whatever I set on the html element - I
> use it to give me much more consistent vertical rhythm without
> worrying about inheritance problems.
> It's a convenience and
> flexibility thing for me, not an accessibility thing (though it's that
> too, that's not the main draw).

Well, you can do that, but in the process, you discard a potentially
useful piece of information: the size of text that the user has indicated
works for him as the default size.

Anyway, that's besides the point. A new unit that is defined to be the
appropriate size of a touch element could be useful, whether you
like my parallel with rem or not.

  - Florian