RE: [css3-grid-layout] Clarify abspos containing blocks, interaction with 'position'

Inline...

-----Original Message-----
From: fantasai [mailto:fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net]
Sent: Monday, February 20, 2012 3:22 AM
To: www-style@w3.org
Subject: [css3-grid-layout] Clarify abspos containing blocks, interaction with 'position'

Two issues:

1. If the descendant of a grid item is absolutely positioned,
    what is its containing block?

[pcupp] the nearest positioned ancestor, i.e. there is no special positioning behavior afforded to descendants of grid items.

2. If a grid item itself is "position: absolute", what happens
    to it?

[pcupp] It is pulled out of "grid flow" and determines its stacking context and containing block per usual.  Only the auto position is affected by the grid which will account for the grid-* properties when determining the location of this 0x0 anchor point.

Overall the interaction with the 'position' property probably needs some thought.

[pcupp] There's nothing in the spec to suggest that positioned children or descendants get special treatment so you won't find these rules written anywhere currently.  Do you think they need to be?  I do see the flexbox editors have added something about it to their spec since I last read through it so maybe so.  Let me know what you think.

~fantasai