RE: [css3-grid-layout] [css3-layout] default layout of children

Stacking elements on top of each other shouldn't be considered data loss.  By that definition abspos elements all cause data loss.  Grid layout and positioning are similar in that that both allow for precise positioning of content.  The difference is the position on the grid is determined by referencing grid lines instead of defining a distance from the origin.

On the other hand if your comments are about how good the auto positioning algorithm is at finding a spot for something when grid-flow is something other than none, then I agree that algorithm needs work and has opportunity for improvement (or should be removed if not further developed - we don't have the auto-position algorithm currently implemented in IE10 so the thinking hasn't really developed beyond the initial spec'ing).  I can open an issue on that - would that capture the concerns below?

-----Original Message-----
From: fantasai [mailto:fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net]
Sent: Monday, February 20, 2012 7:42 AM
To: www-style@w3.org
Subject: [css3-grid-layout] [css3-layout] default layout of children

Neither Template Layout nor Grid Layout seems to have a very good default way of handling content. Grid afaict winds up positioning unpositioned things very randomly, depending on how positioned content is interleaved; although maybe I'm misreading the algorithm. Template offers the default slot option, which seems a good idea to me; but the fallback behavior of dumping things into the first slot doesn't seem ideal.

I don't have a good answer here, but if it's called out as an issue, maybe someone will come up with a good idea.

IMO layout systems should avoid dataloss by default, which means
   - content doesn't disappear
   - content doesn't stack on top of each other
   - content doesn't overflow
unless you explicitly ask for it.

One possibility is to dump all the remaining content into a new row at the bottom of the grid.

~fantasai